Is mold in window AC dangerous? Cleaning the air conditioner, no matter what type of AC you have can help you maintain a long AC life and help keep repair bills to a minimum.
Tempe AC Maintenance will also make sure your AC operates at peak efficiency as it is hard for the AC to cool when the evaporator and condenser coils or cooling fins get dusty or blocked.
Cleaning can go a long way, yet many homeowners come across mold and wish to call their local Tempe AC Maintenance experts to help them out.
While you can do a general cleaning, it is best to let the professionals do it if you make a mess and dirty water with mold seeps into your home.
Here are some steps you can take if you wish to give your window AC a clean.
- Remove any main connection or disconnect from all power sources. If connected direct, turn off the circuit breaker.
- Discharge your capacitor. It is vital to do this as even though your AC is disconnected, the capacitor can hold a charge.
- Once there is no electric power in your unit, you can use a damp cloth to wipe down the outside of the unit.
- Remove the filter holder and trim panel that sits on the front of your AC unit. Most times, they hold these on with clips that lift off easily.
- Remove any mounting frame and casing if you're cleaning a window unit. The case screws typically sit at the bottom of the case. It is this step that causes issues. AC units are not light, so calling your Tempe AC Maintenance experts can save you the possibility of dropping your unit or hurting yourself.
- Starting with the cooling fins is an excellent place to start. Take a fin comb and straighten any bent fins you may have. You can find such combs in any hardware store.
- Vacuum your coils to clear out any dirt and debris. If the waste is damp, then vacuuming won't help, and you need an A/C coil cleaning solution. Although using AC maintenance makes the job easier as they supply everything, you can find these in hardware stores.
- Take a clean cloth and household cleaner to wipe down the fan blades.
- Air filters need cleaning and washing to eradicate any dirt or trapped debris. If your AC has a disposable filter, now is the time to change it. In the heat of the summer, you may find this needs to be every month.
- Don't reassemble your unit until everything has thoroughly dried. Running the system wet means dust will stick and clog. It is this that leads to mold problems.
Stopping AC Mold with Tempe AC Maintenance
Mold can grow in your window AC for many reasons, although damp conditions are the primary source of this.
Keeping your AC unit clean can stop this, although ensuring it is clean all the way through is a task best left to your Tempe AC Maintenance professionals. Besides, when you leave this task to the experts, you have a fully insured company working on your AC system.
If you have worries about mold in your AC system, you can quickly Contact Rescue One Air to schedule air conditioning maintenance and get your AC given a clean bill of health.
For a direct reply, complete the compact form below for a fast response from our AC maintenance experts.