Can I Run My AC with No Filter? You can run your air conditioner without a filter for a limited period without causing damage to your system.
However, running your air conditioner without a filter for more than 6-8 hours can cause substantial harm to your air conditioner and significantly reduce the quality of the air in your home.
Let’s look at how your air filter works, the consequences of running your AC system without one, and why you’ll require Tempe AC maintenance sooner rather than later.
How AC Filter Works
Its sole function is to keep dirt and debris from entering your AC system and your home’s air.
Your AC removes the heat from your home’s air, then recirculates it in your home. The filter is guarding your AC’s return vent. This device helps prevent dirt and debris from entering your AC system with air.
Without an AC filter, dirt and debris enter the system. Some of that debris flies into your home and collects in the HVAC system. This could significantly lower your home’s air quality and system damage from debris and dust.
Decrease Indoor Air Quality
Air Conditioning draws in “dirty” air, circulates it through your home, and recirculates it back into your home. The issues are two-fold:
- Instead of breathing filtered air, you are breathing air containing debris.
- The AC is blowing around your home, increasing the chance for dust and other debris to settle on surfaces.
Frozen Evaporator Coils
Without a filter, the dust gets sucked into your indoor AC unit and settles on the evaporator coils.
Your home is more likely to experience freezing coils if there is dust on the evaporator coils.
If your evaporator coils are frozen, you’ll run issues like this.
- Increased energy bills: If your evaporator coils are frozen, your AC must run for more extended periods to help keep your home cool. High bills over time.
- Your AC compressor is at risk if your evaporator coils are frozen and you keep running your system. Your outdoor unit’s AC compressor is often referred to as the “heart” of your system. Your AC system’s compressor is known as a “pumper,” and AC replacement can cost several thousand based on your type of AC.
- If your evaporator coils are frozen, your AC system will be using less conditioned air. A frozen or plugged AC evaporator coil will result in very little air through the AC vent, but the air itself will be cooler than usual.
Find Your Tempe AC Replacement Experts
AC equipment does not malfunction for no reason. For example, if you don’t maintain your air conditioner and run it without a filter for extended periods, it could break down sooner.
Contact Rescue One Air for quality AC maintenance and repair. Schedule maintenance or learn more about the best AC maintenance for the best indoor air quality available.